Marriage Licenses can be obtained Monday through Friday between 8 am and 4:30 pm (please arrive no later than 3:45 pm).
Obtaining a Marriage License in Barrow County
- Any Georgia resident may apply for a license in any county in Georgia. However, if neither Applicant 1 nor Applicant 2 are residents of Georgia, you may only obtain your license in the county where the ceremony is performed. The license does not have an expiration date.
- Both parties must be present in order to obtain a marriage license. Pre-marital blood test results are no longer required in the State of Georgia.
- Parties must bring proper identification
- Two forms of identification are needed - a picture ID and one other proof listed below.
- Valid driver's license (picture ID) AND original or certified copy of birth certificate or
- Valid passport or valid military ID
- The marriage license fee is $56 (cash or credit) or $16 (cash or credit) only if you provide to the court a Certificate of Completion for Qualified Premarital Education Program with at least six hours of instruction involving marital issues. The premarital education must be completed within 12 months prior to the application for a marriage license and the couple must undergo the education together. Click here for the Certification of Completion of Qualifying Premarital Education Form (PDF).
- All fees are non-refundable.
- If either applicant 1 or applicant 2 has been divorced please present a copy of the final divorce decree.
Applicants Must Be 18 Years of Age
After the marriage ceremony, you will be given a copy of the marriage license. The officiant must then mail the copy with the seal back to this court. After the license has been recorded, you may obtain a certified copy.
Obtaining Certified Copies of Your Marriage License
Note: Typically, one only needs a certified copy of their application when it is specifically requested by an agency or when either party has decided to hyphenate. An agency usually requests a certified copy of the application if an applicant has been married before.
- You may come in person to the Probate Court, or
- Mail a written request to Barrow County Probate Court, 652 Barrow Park Drive Suite D, Winder, Georgia 30680. Your correspondence should include applicant 2's full name, applicant 1's full name before marriage, and the date of the ceremony.
- The fee is $10 per copy payable by money order, cash, or credit. All fees are non-refundable.
The Probate Court Judge, Clerk, and staff are committed to providing you with excellent customer service. We will be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have about probate court services or procedures. Please be advised, however, that state law prohibits our staff from rendering legal advice, restating the law, or recommending specific ways to pursue legal action. Nothing on this website is intended to advise anyone regarding legal remedies for a particular circumstance.
Many matters of law are quite complex and may require special knowledge of legal principles and procedures. If you have a problem involving the interpretation of the law, we suggest you contact an attorney in the State of Georgia.