What is Illicit Discharge?
The EPA defines as any discharge to the municipal separate storm sewer system that is not composed entirely of storm water, except for discharges allowed under a NPDES permit or waters used for firefighting operations.
Illicit Discharge Ordinance:
Barrow County adopted an Illicit Discharge Ordinance in 2005 to protect local water quality and comply with the County's MS4 permit issued by the GA EPD and EPA's Clean Water Act.
The illustration below provides several helpful hints:
Click on the link below and watch a video from the Center of Watershed Protection on IDDE and its importance.
Examples of Illicit Discharge:
- Improper disposal of yard debris, blowing grass clippings and/or leaves
- Improper disposal of auto and household toxics, such as motor oil and pesticides
- Septic Tank Waste
- Sediment from land disturbance activities (landscaping, tree removal, gardening)
- Overflowing or unclosed trash cans and dumpsters
- Vehicle or equipment wash water
Illicit Discharge Brochure
You can help the water quality of Barrow County by reporting Illicit Discharge to the Storm Water Department at 770-307-3070 or Email email@example.com
Helpful IDDE Links: